Vital Statistics

If requesting a certificate for
  • an Oklahoma State ID or Driver's License, Please check with your local Oklahoma DPS Office to verify if they will accept a City of Wichita Falls certified birth Certificate.
If requesting a certificate for
  • any use for the State of Colorado or
  • for Indian Tribal Card, then
  • you MUST order the certificate from the State of Texas Health Department in Austin.  For more info on the ordering process from Austin DSHS please visit their website at

Birth and Death Certificates

The Vital Records Office is responsible for filing births and deaths that occurred in the city limits of Wichita Falls. We are able to issue certified birth certificates for anyone that was born in Texas and certified death certificates for anyone that died in the city limits of Wichita Falls. For any deaths that occurred in surrounding towns of Wichita Falls, these records should be filed with the Wichita County Offices. Please call our office to verify before sending in a request.

All certificates issued from this office are certified copies of the original record on security paper that meets state requirements, which bears our Health Department Seal and the Texas State Health Department Seal within the paper. We do NOT use an embossed seal per the Texas Administrative Code Title 25 Part 1 Chapter 181 Subchapter B Rule 1813.28 –C- Security Features. The Texas Administrative Code can be found at

Are Birth and Death Records Public Record?

Vital records are not public record until 75 years after the date of birth for birth certificates and 25 years after the date of death for death certificates.

Types of Records Issued

Our office issues two kinds of birth certificates:
  • Long Form Birth Certificate - This is issued to anyone born in the City Limits of Wichita Falls. These records date from 1917-Present.
  • Abstract Birth Certificate- This is issued to anyone born in Texas. These records date from 1926-Present. This certificate has the minimal information that is provided by the State. Abstracts birth certificate may not work for passport purposes.
  • Death Certificates- These records date from 1917-Present for persons who died in the City Limits of Wichita Falls. For any deaths that occurred in surrounding towns of Wichita Falls, these records should be filed with the Wichita County Offices. Please call our office to verify before sending in a request.

Who can Request a record

You must be a qualifying applicant in order to request a certified birth or death certificate. We may require additional proof to show relationship. When presenting a “Power of Attorney”, it must be specifically stated, authorizing the agent to obtain their records or must be a “Durable Power of Attorney”. If you are a qualifying applicant and are unable to request the record (s), you may authorize someone who would not be considered a qualifying applicant to request the record (s) by completing a Notarized Authorization Form. This form must either be notarized or be accompanied by a copy of the authorizer’s identification. The authorized agent must also present valid identification.
  • Self (Person named on record)
  • Parent (Parent listed on record; if not listed must present a valid court order stating parent-child relationship)
  • Step-Parent (Must show marriage license or other documentation showing you share last name)
  • Grandparent (Biological parent to parent on record)
  • Children (Biological child to person on record)
  • Sibling (Must share at least 1 parent. Parent must be on both person’s birth certificate)
  • Spouse (Must show marriage license if you do not share last name on record or other documentation showing you share last name)
  • Guardian (Must show valid court order showing guardianship or conservator-ship)
  • Legal Representative/Attorney (Must show an attested statement proving the need for protection for personal property rights when the legal representative is acting on behalf and for the benefit of the registrant or the registrant’s immediate family or other entity having a direct and tangible interest in the record. Attorney must present BAR card. Examples may include an insurance company, mortgage or lien holder, searcher for land and mineral property rights, loan office, attorney for an opposing party, etc., so long as written documentation of a direct and tangible interest has been presented.)
  • Social Worker (Must present documentation indicating that the registrant is in their care. If the registrant is in the care of an organization or institution, the documentation must indicate the organization or institution, and the social worker must present documentation showing they are working on behalf of that organizations or institution.)
Please Note: According to the State Health Department “Grandchildren" are not considered to be a proper qualifying applicant to request birth or death records unless it is already dated to be public record. We understand in some cases this will not affect you, for example when an insurance policy names a beneficiary. Please call our office if you have any questions concerning this matter before sending in your request.

How Can I Send My Request

Click here to download application and email, fax, or mail your request.
Please call our office to ensure request was received.
Mail: Wichita Falls Health Department
ATTN: Vital Records
1700 3rd St
Wichita Falls, TX 76301
Email: or
Fax: 940-761-7693

Or come by our office. You will receive record as you wait.
Office Location: 1700 3rd St Wichita Falls, TX 76301

What is Required to Request a Record

  • All qualifying applicants must present a valid form of identification in order to request a record. If you do not possess a valid form of identification, please refer to the list of other documentation you can use. Please note our office does NOT accept the Matricula Consular as a form of identification.
  • When sending your request by mail, fax or email: All parts of the application must be in completion, including part 4 (Applicant's Notarized Affidavit of Identity). If notary uses an embossed seal- the original application must be mailed in. If notary uses an ink stamp- you may email or fax the application in, along with copies of identification. Please enlarge and lighten all copies of identification. Delays may occur if any part of application is left uncompleted. You may download application here.
  • If coming to our office, only the application and valid identification are required. Our office is located at 1700 3rd St Wichita Falls, TX 76301. For GPS purposes 200 Broad St Wichita Falls, TX 76301 will locate us.
Birth Certificates $23 Each
Death Certificates $21 Each -1st Copy
Additional Death Copies $4 Each
Plastic Covers $3 Each
Convenience Fee $3.50 All credit/debit card transaction are subject to. Unless card is presented at office
Expedited Shipping (1-2 Days Shipping Weather Permitted) $21
No additional fees for regular mail

 No liability on this office for lost orders through delivery service or regular mail leaves this office.

We accept Cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or Money Order. CHECKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED. All requests are process within 1-2 Business days from time received. Unless marked for expedited services, all requests will be sent back regular mail. This office is not responsible for items lost in the mail. Expedited tracking number is offered for additional charge.