City Internships

The City of Wichita Falls' internship program is one of the many ways we demonstrate a commitment to our mission of encouraging continued education and providing students with an opportunity for hands-on exposure to real work experiences. One of the City of Wichita Falls' City Council goals is to attract and retain young workers and graduates by expanding City internship opportunities. Through our internships, we provide practical, high quality experiences that help students achieve their academic and professional goals. High School and college students, or recent graduates, are encouraged to apply. Each internship opportunity may have specific education requirements.

To be considered for an academic credit internship, the intern must be receiving academic credit from or be fulfilling an academic requirement of an accredited institution of higher education. It is the responsibility of the intern to ensure that all university or college requirements are met to receive credit.

The City of Wichita Falls is proud to participate in internship programs with the following education providers:

Midwestern State University
Tarleton State University
Vernon College

If you are an education provider and would like to partner with the City of Wichita Falls' internship program, please contact our Human Resources office at 940-761-7615 for details.

Internship FAQs

What can I expect as an intern?
Interns are given the opportunity to provide a meaningful contribution to the City of Wichita Falls' Municipal Operations while also providing students with an opportunity for hands-on exposure to real work experiences. Specific projects and responsibilities are assigned to interns at the start of each individual's internship program. A supervisor or designated City employee will partner with interns during the program.

Are internships with the City paid?
At this time, most internships with the City are unpaid; however, internships must be either for pay or for credit.

Does the City allow international students to participate in the internship program?
Yes, international students are eligible for the City of Wichita Falls' internship programs. Although the City cannot sponsor international students positions, we are happy to accept students who do not require sponsorship.

Can I get course credit through my school as part of my internship?
This will be up to your institution. If your school allows course credits to be earned during an internship, the City is happy to work with you and the school to help make that a reality. You will need to be sure to communicate this before you start the internship in order for the City to assist you with your school's requirements.

When do internships usually start?
Internships usually start at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters. Summer internships may happen throughout the summer, depending on the department and the student's availability.

What are the work hours for interns?
Work hours are decided by the departments and take the student's schedule into consideration. Each intern may have a different work schedule depending on their availability and the department's needs.

I'm not a current student, can I still participate in the internship program?
Absolutely! You will need to fill out an application for the area(s) you are interested in to be considered.

How do I apply for an internship?
Using the links above, click on the program you'd like to participate in. You will be redirected to a description of the internship. Click on the 'Apply' button to fill out an application. Your application will be sent to the appropriate department for review. If they would like to move forward with you as an applicant, they will reach out to you via phone or email to set up an interview.

Who can I call if I have questions?
You can call the Human Resources department with any questions. Our phone number is 940-761-7615